Google Apprenticeship: Everything you need to know
Nowadays, every firm values skills over fresh degrees. If you have a degree with different skills, then you have a better chance of getting high-paying jobs. Undoubtedly, the Google apprenticeship is a great way to learn new skills, start your career, and earn more.
Apprenticeship programs are very helpful for people who are looking forward to entering the technology industry. It will not only help you develop your career plans but will also allow you to build some connections with professionals. You will also get hands-on experience under the proper mentorship.
Google also offers its famous apprenticeship programs that provide training with the latest information in different fields. But, how can you join the Google apprenticeship program? In this article, you will learn everything about this program and how to apply as well.
WHAT IS A GOOGLE APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM?
Google has an apprenticeship program powered by Build Your Future With Google. There are different programs available, and people with diverse backgrounds are welcome to join this training.
All apprenticeships offered by Google are paid according to the UK government’s minimum apprenticeship wage. Currently, it is £4.81 per hour. All candidates receive a compensation package that includes some perks and benefits as well.
However, these salaries depend on the type of job and the experience level.
HOW GOOGLE APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM IS STRUCTURED?
Every candidate is required to put in 40 hours each week throughout the apprenticeship program. Apprentices earn hourly pay for their time spent studying and learning on the job. Initially, there is a three-week virtual onboarding experience where students are taught skills.
For in-depth understanding, there is a six-week Bootcamp for students. Afterward, the apprentices join Google teams to get their training along with track-specific learning.
By the end of the program, students receive holistic career readiness support. Apprentices will also receive a certification from the US Department of Labour.
HOW TO KNOW IF YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS PROGRAM?
Google apprenticeship programs are open to everyone. However, there are some criteria that Google looks into before finalizing your application.
- All apprentices should have excellent academic performance in any field of education.
- They should have fluency in both written and verbal communication in English. It is also recognizable if you have a command of the local language as well.
- When applying for these programs, apprentices should have the authorization to work in that country.
- You should be over the age of 18 to apply for a Google apprenticeship.
WHAT IS THE DURATION OF THIS PROGRAM?
All programs offered at Google has different duration period. Generally, these apprenticeship programs last from 12 to 14 weeks. During this duration, you will learn both educational and technical knowledge at the same time.
Therefore, it is advisable to check the job description and its duration before applying.
LIST OF APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM
Google offers various programs regarding information and technology as well as other fields. Some of the programs offered by Google are as follows.
- Sales and Marketing Apprenticeship- 12 Months
- Information Technology Apprenticeship- 12 Months
- Data Analytics Apprenticeship- 24 Months
- Software Engineering Apprenticeship- Duration is not fixed.
- Customer Engineering Apprenticeship- 24 Months
- Digital Marketing Apprenticeship- 24 Months
You can learn more about these programs at the link here.
HOW TO APPLY?
To apply for these programs, you need to have an updated resumé. If you are applying from other countries, then you may also need a cover letter, the latest transcript, an aptitude test, or any short response questionnaire.
WHEN TO APPLY?
Different programs have distinct application timing. So, you have to decide on your program in advance. In the UK, applications open in October every year. If you get selected, your apprenticeship will start next year.
It is very difficult to get into the internships and apprenticeship programs at Google. The acceptance rate is less than 1%, making it statistically harder than Harvard. This takes around 8 to 10 weeks to hear about your application once you submit it.
APPRENTICESHIPS IN THE US AND OTHER COUNTRIES
Google offers apprenticeship programs in many countries. In the UK, it has established a program in London. There are also schemes in Ireland, India, France, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and the US.
In the UK, the concept of apprenticeship before commencing a career is common. But, in the US this concept is relatively new. There are different schemes across different states of the US. You can easily find Google offices that offer different roles such as project management, digital marketing, and data analytics.
PROCESS OF GOOGLE APPRENTICESHIP
First of all, you need to apply for their apprenticeship program if you are eligible according to the requirements at Google.
RESUME & COVER LETTER REVIEW
Then, your resume and a cover letter are reviewed by the recruiting team at Google. If the apprenticeship program that you have applied to matches your resume. Then, Google’s online challenge team will reach out with a follow-up mail for assessment registration.
Once you get registered for the assessment, you will receive the link for Google’s online challenge assessment. If you are successful in this phase, you will receive a telephone interview.
If you successfully cracked this interview, you will get an “Interview availability form” for a video interview. You will also receive a mail regarding the interview guideline and job description file. Confirmation mail would finalize your interview with Google.
After your first interview call, you will receive a second interview call within an hour or two if you are eligible for it. With a second interview video call, you will get the latest mark sheets of the highest qualification via mail.
After a week or two, you will get a “ Confirmation about the compensation for the role” mail. Within one week, you will receive a mail for “Location preference”
Finally, you will receive a confirmation mail “Congratulations ! You are Selected for the Google Apprenticeship Program”.
HOW TO INCREASE YOUR CHANCE OF SELECTION?
As it is clear that getting selected for the Google apprenticeship program is tough. However, there are some ways you can increase your chances of selection. They are as follows;
- Bootcamps are the perfect way of preparing yourself for a tech career. You can attend coding boot camps and learn in-demand programming languages. This way, your chances of working at Google raises.
- Online courses are a cheap and effective way of learning new skills. Companies appreciate the efforts of those candidates who attend online courses relating to their job. So, pick a course or two before you apply for the apprenticeship program.
- You can also apply for a degree program as many apprenticeships require a minimum degree for the candidate’s qualification in these programs. Having an associate’s or a bachelor’s degree will also come in handy time of working as an apprentice at Google.
- Vocational schools are also known as trade schools or technical schools. These institutes offer hands-on training for specific skills. This can be very useful for the potential apprentice as this increases the chances of getting selected by Google.
Applying for an apprenticeship at Google is a good opportunity for anyone to avail. If you are targeting a higher position in a field, you could do an apprenticeship in that program at Google. This will not only allow you to improve your skills through hands-on training.
But, you will also work in a professional environment and meet with experts that could hire you in the future. Moreover, if you show the necessary performance, Google may also hire you.
So, do not miss the opportunity and apply for it. However, this process takes time. So, be patient as great things take time.