PG Diploma vs Master’s Degree in Canada: Which is Better?
You are searching comparison of PG diploma vs Master’s degree in Canada. So you can learn which is a better option for you to get a job and PR in Canada.
Let’s get started.
PGDM vs Masters
You can get a good job as well as PR with either a PG diploma or a Master’s degree in Canada. Here is our suggestion:
- If you have a low score in bachelor’s and low finances then PGDM is better than a master’s degree for you.
- If you have good grades and enough budget then a master’s degree in Canada is definitely a good choice.
- If you have a strong student profile but you are short on budget, you can apply for scholarships for a master’s degree.
Table of Content
Postgraduate and Masters Degree in Canada: Comparison
PG Diploma vs Master’s degrees in Canada comparison is listed in the table below:
|PG Diploma||Master’s Degree|
|Duration||1 to 2 years||1.5 to 2 years|
|Tuition Fee||10,000 to 30,000 CAD||10,000 to 40,000 CAD|
|GPA / Percentage||Min 2.3 GPA / 60%||Min 3.0 GPA / 70%|
|Undergraduate Credits||3 or 4-year undergraduate degrees||4-year undergraduate degrees|
|Value of Degree||Academically lesser than Masters||Academically higher than PG Diploma|
|Work Permit||1 year or 3 year (depends on program duration)||3 years|
|PR Points||15 points||30 points|
|Future Prospects||Job/ Master Degree||Job|
|Will I get Job in Canada?||Yes||Yes|
|What do you suggest?||Best for students with low grades and less finance.||Best for students with good grades and good finances.|
Note: If you have good grades but less budget then you can apply for scholarships in Canada.
Now we can discuss the differences between a master’s diploma and a master’s degree in Canada in detail.
- Study Duration: The duration of a PG diploma is between 1and 2 years depending on the program. While the course-based master program is between 1.5 and 2 years. And thesis-based master programs are of 2 years.
- Tuition Fees: Fees for masters are higher as compared to a diploma. If we talk about PG diploma its fees range around from 7k Canadian Dollar to 20k Canadian Dollar per year and for masters is between 13k to 25k Canadian Dollars.
- PR Points: For masters, you get around 30 PR points, and with a postgraduate diploma in Canada, you get around 15 points before filing your PR.
- IELTS: The requirement for IELTS for masters is 6.5 bands in each module and overall is 7 bands. Whereas in the Post-graduation diploma it’s 6.5 bands overall and 6 bands in each module.
- Letter of Recommendation: For masters, you need 2 letters of recommendation and for Post graduation diploma you do not need any LOR.
- Institution: Universities provide master’s & postgraduate diploma. But colleges provide only PG diploma in Canada.
- Value of Degree: Obviously the master’s degree has a higher value than PGDM in terms of academics.
- Intake: For the PG diploma, there are basically three intakes; September, January, and may intake. But for a master’s degree, the most common intake is September but only a few allow January intakes.
- Work Permit: With 1-year PG diploma programs you get 1 year of work permit while with 2-year PG diploma programs or master’s degree you get 3 years of work permit in Canada.
- Undergraduate Credits: Colleges accept 3 or 4-year undergraduate degrees for PGDM but most universities require a 4-year undergraduate degree.
- GPA (Bachelors): For masters minimum requirement it is 70% or 3.0 GPA at least and it’s expected that you have no backlog or supplement. In the post-graduate diploma, the minimum requirement is 60% or a 2.3 GPA.
Note that there are some colleges that accept at 55% too And backlogs too depend on college to college. Some colleges allow 2 backlogs and some allow up to 5 backlogs. So it depends on the course and college.
And there are some Universities too which allow you to apply below 70% too but there are only 1 or 2 of them.
One year program vs two year program in Canada: Which PGDM is better?
There is two major difference between one year vs two-year programs in Canada.
- Education Cost: Two year PG diploma is expensive than one year PG diploma in Canada.
- Work Permit: You get 1 year of work permit with one-year studies and three work permit with two years of studies.
Let’s discuss them in details and find which is better for you.
The biggest difference between a one year program and a two-year program is the education cost.
If you are doing just one year program you will be spending around 15K to 18K CAD on your studies for just one year while if you are doing a two-year program the cost could go up to 30K to 35K CAD.
Duration of Work Permit:
The next difference is you will be only getting one year of the work permit if you are doing a one year program while you can get up to three years of the work permit if you do two years program.
Most people do it to save cost and it is of course a bit of risk.
If you can afford the education cost and you have enough finances go for a two-year program as it puts you on a safer side.
You will get three years work permit and you will have three years of duration to get a good job which will eventually help you get PR in Canada.
- You have enough money for studies, go for a two-year program in Canada; it is a safer option to get jobs and PR.
- You do not have enough money for tuition fees, go for a one-year program in Canada; it is a risky option but if you plan ahead, you can get a job as well as PR in Canada.
Next, we will discuss the tips that will help you get PR in Canada with a one-year program.
How to get PR with a one-year Program in Canada?
It is a fact that a two-year program gives you a three-year post-graduate work permit in Canada.
That makes it super easy to get permanent residence but how about a one-year program that gives you only a one-year post-graduate work permit.
But is that enough?
And we are here with five tips to make one year program enough for you to get permanent residence in Canada.
As you know a two-year program or four-year program is almost like a hundred percent guarantee that you get PR.
Even if you take a look at the Atlantic immigration pilot program for international graduates.
- You just go to any of the schools in Atlantic Canada.
- You study there for at least two years.
- You get your postgraduate work permit.
- You sign a contract with any of the Atlantic employers and you get your PR with no experience needed.
Tip 1: Grace Period
Once you graduate you will have 90 days to file for your PGWP.
You can use this time to find an employer. And after you have found the employer, you can apply for your postgraduate work permit.
This way you’re utilizing that one year of requirement.
You will need exactly one year of work experience to get permanent residence and that’s 1260 hours in a year. That’s 30 hours a week every week in that one year.
Let’s say you got 1250 hours that do not count you will need exactly 1260 hours.
Tip 2: Your Partner
If you have a partner, your partner will come here on a work permit while you’ll only be allowed to work 20 hours a week during studies.
They can work unlimited hours and they will also get another work permit after you graduate. So basically you’re multiplying your one year by two and are getting 24 months of possible experience.
Your partner can actually work themselves to get permanent residence for you.
Tip 3: Immigration Programs
Be strategic with your postgraduate work permits in regards to where you intend to utilize that one year.
Because if you come to Atlanta Canada that’s nova, scotia, new Brunswick, Newfoundland Labrador, and Prince Edward Island. Here we have an Atlantic immigration pilot program.
You will have different PNP that make it super easy to get PR. So if you come to the right province it’s gonna be easier.
Tip 4: Location
Be strategic with your job market and your profession. Research what provinces have the most in-demand jobs that are related to your industry.
If you research well and find the right employers you can definitely get your PR within one year. For example:
- If you’re an IT and maybe software engineering, go to British Columbia. The most opportunities for those people are there.
- If you’re in agriculture go to Manitoba.
- If you are into something related to the oceans, Atlantic Canada is a great option especially nova scotia in particular.
Tip 5: BOWP
BOWP or bridging open work permit gives you an opportunity to work after you have filed for PR.
You can apply for the bridging open work permit before you apply for PR, you can actually work in Canada during waiting for your PR to be approved.
PG Diploma vs Master’s Degree in Canada: FAQ
Now we will cover frequently asked questions about PG diploma and Master’s degree in Canada.
What opportunities or options you have after masters and after PG diploma in Canada?
Well, after masters in Canada you have 3 options:
- First, you can work in a company or an industry.
- Second, you can apply for Ph.D. (Some universities ask for prior work experience but you can check that before applying).
- Third thing is that you can apply for professor jobs at university or as an Instructor at any college.
So this was about masters. Now let’s talk about the PG Diploma.
After a PG diploma in Canada you have 2 options:
- you can apply for masters if you want to study.
- Second, you can directly apply for industry jobs.
These are the main opportunities.
Is PG diploma equivalent to Masters in Canada?
No, a PG diploma is not equivalent to Masters in Canada. There is a difference between the credits.
- You earn 180 credits in a master’s degree
- A PG diploma is made up of only 120 credits.
Does PG Diploma have Value in Canada?
Yes, PG Diploma has value in Canada. You can get a good job and permanent residence in Canada with 1 year as well as 2 year PG diploma.
Remember: PG and Master’s degrees in Canada do not have equal value. You must understand that a Master’s degree is academically better or higher than a PG diploma. But you can get a job and PR by studying any of them.
Does PGDM offer Jobs in Canada?
Yes, you can get a good job after PGDM in Canada. But you have to keep few things in mind:
- Study PGDM course in a field that has a high demand
- Select the city in Canada that has better job opportunities in your field of study
With these simple steps, you can get a job as well as PR with even 1-year PGDM.
Is it worth doing a postgraduate diploma in Canada?
The worth of a postgraduate diploma in Canada depends on your goal.
- If you want to continue your studies in Canada and do not have a high budget, then a postgraduate diploma is a good option for you.
- With a skilled profile and postgraduate diploma, you can find a good job in Canada. It will also help you get your Permanent Residence.
Can I get PR after PG diploma in Canada?
Yes, you can get PR after PG Diploma in Canada.
- With 1-year PG Diploma, you get a 1-year work permit. You have to work hard to find a good job and build your score in a short period of time. It is difficult but not impossible. Many people got PR through this process.
- With 2- years PG Diploma you get 3 years work permit. It gives you enough time to find a good job and increase your score to get PR.
Can I get a job after PG diploma in Canada?
Yes, you can job after a PG diploma in Canada. But a diploma and degree do not guarantee a job. You need to have skills and knowledge for the job.
Here are a few industries where you can find a job after a Postgraduate diploma:
- Agriculture & Forestry
- Applied Sciences & Professions
- Arts, Design & Architecture
- Business & Management
- Computer Science & IT
- Education & Training
- Engineering & Technology
- Environmental Studies & Earth Sciences
- Hospitality, Leisure & Sports
- Journalism & Media
- Medicine & Health
- Natural Sciences & Mathematics
- Social Sciences
Which PGDM course is best in Canada?
There are many PGDM courses in Canada. And the best one among them is that gets you a better job and PR in Canada.
Here some of the popular postgraduate courses in Canada.
- Graduate Diploma in Business Administration-Concordia University
- Post-Grad Diploma in Business-University of Regina
- Post-Degree Diploma in Accounting (PDD-A)-Langara College
- Post-Graduate Diploma Global Logistics and Supply Chain Management-Manitoba Institute of Trades and Technology
- Post-graduate Diploma in Technology Management-Red River College of Applied Arts, Science & Technology
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Hospitality Management-Selkirk College
- Graduate Diploma in Computer Science -Concordia University
PG Diploma or Master’s Degree: Business Course & Job Opportunities
Let’s start with Job opportunities in Canada with Business courses:
- General Management: Administrative Services Managers, Business adviser,
Business analyst, Insurance underwriter, Management consultant, Project manager, Risk manager, and Financial Managers.
- Finance: Financial Analyst, Accountant, Cash Management, Credit Analysis & Management, Controller/Finance Director, Payroll, Financial Reporting, and Investor Relations.
- International Business: Management Analyst, Marketing Manager, Executive, Human Resources Manager, Financial Analyst, Economist, and Policy Analyst.
- Marketing: Account Executive, Advertising/Promotion Manager, Brand Manager, Copywriter, Marketing Manager, Market Research Analyst, Media Planner, and Production Manager.
- Business Analyst: Business Analyst, Quantitative Analyst, Financial Analyst, Operations Research Analyst, and Market Research Analyst
- Supply Chain: Supplier Relations Management, Contracts Management and Pricing, Procurement and Supply Management, Materials Planning, Inventory Management, Logistics Management, Transportation Carrier Management and Demand Forecasting.
Master’s Degree in Business Courses
In Canada, you will find 43 Master’s degree in Business. These programs can be divided into different specialization groups. We cannot list all of them here but we will list the cheapest Master’s program in Business based on first-year tuition fees
- General management: Master of Arts in Conflict Analysis and Management from Royal Roads University
- Finance: MBA in Finance from Laval University
- Economics: Master of Arts in Economics from the University of Victoria
- Business (other): Master of Science in Environment and Management from Royal Roads University
- International Business: MSc in International Business from HEC Montreal
- Marketing: MSc in Marketing from the University of Saskatchewan
- Business Analytics: MSc in Data Science and Business Analytics from HEC Montreal
- Supply Chain: MSc Global Supply Chain Management from HEC Montreal
PG Diploma in General Management
Now let’s take a look at some Postgraduate diploma business courses in Canada.
Here is a list of PG Diploma in General Management.
|Diploma in General Management||Institute||Duration (Years)||IELTS||TOEFL||Bachelor Marks|
|Graduate Diploma in Business Administration||Concordia University||1||7||95||2.7 GPA|
|Post-Grad Diploma in Business||University of Regina||1||6.5||–||70%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Business Administration||Thompson Rivers University||2||6.5||88||–|
|Post-Degree Diploma in Business Administration||Langara College||2||6.5||90||–|
PG Diploma in Marketing
Here is a list of PG Diploma in Marketing in Canada.
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Marketing||Thompson Rivers University||2||6.5||88||–|
|Diploma in Marketing||Western University||1||6||83||70%|
|Post-Degree Diploma in Marketing Management||Langara College||2||6.5||90||–|
|Post-degree Diploma in Marketing||Douglas College||1||6.5||83||–|
|Advanced Diploma in Marketing||Assiniboine Community College||(8 Months)||6.5||79||–|
|Post Baccalaureate Diploma in Marketing||Nipissing University||2||6.5||83||60%|
PG Diploma in Supply Chain
|Supply Chain||Institute||Duration (Years)||IELTS||TOEFL||Bachelor|
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Supply Chain Management||Thompson Rivers University||2||6.5||88||–|
|Post Baccalaureate Diploma in Operations and Supply Chain Management||Kwantlen Polytechnic University||1||6.5||88||–|
|Post-Graduate Diploma Global Logistics and Supply Chain Management||Manitoba Institute of Trades and Technology||2||6.5||–||–|
|Supply Chain Management (Post-Degree Diploma)||Douglas College||1||6.5||83||60%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Supply Chain Management||Cape Breton University||2||6.5||80||75%|
PG Diploma in Accounting
Here is a list of PG Diploma in Accounting in Canada.
|Accounting||Institute||Duration (Years)||IELTS||TOEFL||Bachelor Marks|
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Accounting||Thompson Rivers University||2||6.5||88||–|
|Post-Degree Diploma in Accounting (PDD-A)||Langara College||2||6.5||90||–|
|Post Baccalaureate Diploma in Accounting||Kwantlen Polytechnic University||1||6.5||88||–|
|Post-degree Diploma in Accounting||Douglas College||1||6.5||83||–|
|Post-Graduate Diploma in Accounting||Selkirk College||2||6.5||80||–|
|Advanced Diploma in Accounting||Assiniboine Community College||(8 Months)||6.5||79||–|
PG Diploma in Finance
|Finance||Institute||Duration (Years)||IELTS||TOEFL||Bachelor Marks|
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Finance||Thompson Rivers University||2||6.5||88||–|
|Post-degree Diploma in Financial Planning||Douglas College||1||6.5||83||–|
|Post Baccalaureate Diploma in Finance||Nipissing University||2||6.5||83||60%|
PG Diploma in International Business
|International Business||Institute||Duration (Years)||IELTS||TOEFL||Bachelor Marks|
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in International Business||Thompson Rivers University||2||6.5||88||–|
|Post-graduate Diploma in International Business||Red River College of Applied Arts, Science & Technology||1||–||79||–|
|Post Baccalaureate Diploma in International Business||Nipissing University||2||6.5||83||–|
PG Diploma in Human Resource Management
|HRM||Institute||Duration (Year)||IELTS||TOEFL||Bachelor Marks|
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Human Resource Management||Thompson Rivers University||2||6.5||88||–|
|Post Baccalaureate Diploma in Human Resource Management||Nipissing University||2||6.5||83||60%|
PG Diploma in Specialized Business Management
|Other||Institute||Duration (Years)||IELTS||TOEFL||Bachelor Marks|
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Business Analytics||Cape Breton University||2||6.5||80||75%|
|Post-graduate Diploma in Technology Management||Red River College of Applied Arts, Science & Technology||1||–||79||–|
|Post-Graduate Diploma in Hospitality Management||Selkirk College||2||6.5||80||–|
|Business Management Post Degree Diploma – Health Administration Specialization||Northern Lights College||2||6||–||–|