8 Common Problems and their Solutions for International Students in Canada

8 Common Problems and their Solutions for International Students in Canada

I will be sharing 8 common problems and their solutions for international students in Canada.

Your plan is to study, work and get permanent residency in Canada. Well, that is a wonderful plan. But you have to plan all the steps carefully. And the first, as well as the most important step, is… RESEARCH

Learn as much as you can. Research online. Ask your friends and Alumni. So that you are ready for any scenario.

As it’s human nature to make mistakes. We have seen a lot of people making the same mistakes. Well, you can stop yourself from doing the same by reading this article. 

Here is the list of 8 common problems and their solutions for international students. You can avoid these worst-case scenarios. And if you face any of them, then there is a solution for it.

Let’s begin with our list of 5 common problems and their solutions.

Can I apply for PGWP again?

As you know

  • If you studied for one year program you will be given a one-year post-graduation work permit or the PGWP.
  • If you chose to study for a two-year program or two programs you will be given three years work permit

Recommended: How to Work and Get PR with 1+1 Year Course in Canada

But if you decide to study again for one program and try to apply for PGWP again. Don’t expect that you will be given another PGWP. Because

  • a post-graduation work permit is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that Canada gives to the internationals.

That is why it is suggested to take a two-year program or two programs so that you will get three years work permit.


You cannot apply for PGWP again. But you can continue to work in Canada with a Bridging open work permit. But you need to apply for it before your PGWP expires.

The bridging open work permit was created to allow foreign workers to remain in Canada. And at work, while their permanent residency applications are being reviewed.

I have written an extensive guide about post-graduate work permits in Canada. Check here

Check passport expiry date before your study permit application

Make sure that your passport has five years or more before you apply for study in Canada. For example, if you apply for a two-year program and your passport will expire after a year. The visa that you will get is only until the end of the expiration of your passport.

And the same thing in PGWP, if you are expecting three years post-graduation work permit. And your passport will expire after two years expect that you will only receive two years or after your passport expires.


Once you are applying for a student permit or even PGWP make sure your passport has a duration of five years or more before it expires. But don’t worry you can still reapply for an extension.

And you need again to pay for the extension fee before you get the desired expiration of your work permit or the study permit.

As an International student, can you send money to your home country

You came to Canada to study as an international student. It means to say that there is someone who supports you or someone is sponsoring you to be here in Canada. That is the usual approach of application as international students.

You only work for 20 hours per week but that salary is actually enough for your expenses here in Canada. By the way, I wrote an article if the part-time job can pay for tuition fees.

So with the salary that pays for your expenses in Canada, sending money to your home country is a red flag at your PR application.


I know that there are some people who say that you can just send like a hundred or two hundred dollars per month.

But if you are thinking of sending a large amount of money, I suggest not doing that. It is because this might affect your application for your work permit or even your permanent residency.

Can't find at least a NOC B job after PGWP

There are a lot of pathways for you to be a permanent residency in Canada. You study in Canada and wish to apply for PR through CEC or the Canadian experience class. You need to gain at least one year of full-time work experience. And the job should be under the NOC zero A and B. Lastly if you are planning to apply for Express entry through CEC. You should aim at high CRS points as much as possible. 

Aside from CEC, there are other options for you to be a permanent resident in Canada. And you can also consider the PNP or the provincial nomination program of different provinces.  You can just check their website for you to know what are available programs that you can apply to.

That is the reason why it is highly recommended to aim for three years work permit. And that is most probably enough to gain experience to be eligible for PR application.

What if you have failing grades

Yes, studying in Canada is also challenging. And it also depends on the program that you are taking might not be easy.

But if you fail the subject you need to retake it again. What will happen? Unfortunately, you might not graduate on the preferred date that you are expecting. And if you repeat a subject, it will cost you more. You need to pay the tuition fee again.


Study hard…

I know that you are studying and working as well. But make sure that you need to focus. And you need to pass all of your subjects.

The chosen school is non-DLI or not offering PGW P in Canada

There are a lot of schools in Canada. As an international student, you need to choose a designated learning institution or DLA. And you selected DLI should offer PGWP. So that you can work after you studied or after you graduate from your institution.

It is important because not all the DLI are providing PGWP.

In case, you don’t know the process of the Canada study permit. And you decide to undergo with an agency. You don’t know if the agency is telling you the right things or not. Sometimes these agencies will just tell you that this specific school has a low tuition fee and a good reputation in Canada.

You need to know that “choose a designated learning institution and offers PGWP “.


Don’t rush your application…

Make sure that you gather all information that you know. And feed yourself all the details that you need to know. 

The application is denied

IRCC makes sure that once they denied an application, they will indicate the reason for the denial. 

The good thing about the application in Canada is once you are denied, you can reapply. And you can comply with the reason for your refusal. So make sure that whatever IRCC the reason for the denial, you need to comply.

Working hours of international student

The first thing that you need to know about the working hours of international students in your study permit. It indicates that you can work off-campus. If the study permit doesn’t have a work condition you can ask to have it added to your document. So that you will be eligible to work off-campus. And don’t worry there is no additional fee to add this condition to your study permit.

As we get a study permit on arrival in Canada, you are not able to check it in advance. You cannot verify whether your study permit indicates that you can work off-campus or not.

If it doesn’t indicate that you can work off-campus. Then you need to request an amendment to your study permit before applying for the social insurance number. The second thing that you need to know about the working hours of international student

You should only work for 20 hours per week off-campus

But what is off-campus? 

Basically, working outside your school or outside your institution. You can work in a different company or you can for it in a different establishment. But it should be indicated as well in your new study permit.  

Always remember that whatever condition is indicated in your work permit or even your study permit just stick with it. And comply with all the rules and regulations in Canada.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *